Sunday 23 September 2012

To thine own self be true!

Today I'm thinking about the fact that every single one of us is entirely unique and yet part of a whole.
We belong to different clubs and societies, political movements, religious organisations. We accumulate badges and certificates that further define us and our journey, and our achievements. But strip everyone down to our naked state and we are all the same really.

We want to be loved. We want to feel safe. We want to belong.

It's if course much easier to do this when we don't try to stand out from the crowd. When we keep ourselves small and unnoticed. When we never step out of line. Never speak out of line. Never act out of line. 

When we are obedient and do as we're told.

When we don't fight, or speak up or say 'Yes - count me in!' Or 'No- I can't condone this'

Standing up for what we believe in can put us at odds with others, which is an uncomfortable place to be. It requires balls. 

Sometimes I feel uncomfortable that we choose home instead of school for our kids. Sometimes I feel uncomfortable that we choose not to vaccinate our kids. Sometimes I feel uncomfortable about my birthing choices and philosophy. Sometimes I feel scared that we're risking our long term financial security by following the path we are about to follow. Sometimes I feel it would be easier to just be like everyone else - to not rock any boats. To never have uncomfortable moments with friends or family, which highlight your differences, and put you both in an awkward position with each other.

But here's the thing - you are never alone. No matter how crazy your convictions may seem to others, there are always others who feel the same. There are a whole bunch of other brave souls who also risk daily moments of humiliation for standing out and being different. For choosing the 'whacky' alternative.

Saying 'Yes' or 'No' can be trememendously empowering or disempowering.

Maybe the way to look at life is to pay really close attention to what you are saying YES to.

Maybe next time you are saying 'No' to something that you feel is expected of you by by friends, family, or society at large, instead of feeling like you are rejecting something, how about just saying a great big

YES!

to yourself?

Saying YES is really powerful.

And when you look around, you realise other people are saying YES too!

YES - I want my kids to learn at home because that feels great!

YES - I choose natural medicines because they make us feel good!

YES - I choose to work towards co-creating a more positive, more empowering birth culture!

YES - I choose to value family time more than possessions!

Are you saying YES to your life?Are you owning your choices?

Or are you still saying NO, still feeling like the odd one out?

Saying YES is one of the most empowering things you can do - and I'm going to say it a lot more in everything I do.

To thine own self be true - oh yeah baby!!!

6 comments: